Select your language

Mon - Fri: 9:00 - 17:30
Sat-Sun Closed
55/1 Giuseppe Calì Street XBX1425 Ta' Xbiex Malta
+356 21244895

Registration of employment

REGISTRATION-OF-EMPLOYMENTWhen you are starting a new business you will need to inform Jobsplus of the change in your employment status. You also need to notify Jobsplus of any new employees engaged. Similarly, self-employed persons are also required by law to complete an engagement form. This is done by filling in the relevant Declaration of Commencement of Employment form. Jobsplus will acknowledge all engagement and termination forms received within 15 working days.

This service is also offered at Business First.

Declaration of commencement of employment

For self-employed: This declaration should be filled in by any person who is starting self-employment for the first time or by anyone wanting to resume self-employment.

For employees: On employing new staff a self-employed person/employer must fill in the Declaration of Commencement of Employment for every new person employed. In every case of new employment, the engagement form duly filled in is to be received by the Jobsplus on the same day of commencement of employment.

Note: To make use of the online services offerred by Jobsplus in order to submit employment forms, user must be logged on the Jobsplus portal.

What documents are required?

If you are being employed for the first time then you will need:

- Identification Card/Passport

- Your NI 3 (from the Department of Social Security - for Maltese nationals only)

- Non-EU nationals require an Employment Licence issued directly by Jobsplus

- Persons born aboard but who possess a dual citizenship, need a certificate issued by the Department of Citizenship and Expatriates

Non-Maltese Citizens

Certain non-Maltese citizen require an Employment Licence before being employed. A full list of applications for employment of non-Maltese nationals may be viewed here.

Employment of persons under 16 years

Persons who have not attained the age 16 or who turn 16 during the scholastic year (15th September to 16th July) are by law considered Minors of Compulsory School Age. These should provide the employer with a school leaving certificate obtainable directly from the Department of Educational Services, Triq Fra Gaetano Pace Forno, Hamrun. Applicants must present the following documents to obtain this certificate:

- A formal birth certificate from the Public Registry.

- A declaration from the applicant’s employer to be.

- A certificate from the school last attended; and.

- A letter from the parents stating that they agree that their son/daughter is to start work.

For further details on legislation and regulations related to the employment of minors visit the Information for Employers section on the Jobsplus website. All conditions apply also to cases related to summer jobs.


Select your language